COMPLEXITY IN SAFETY AND SUSTAINABILITY



Having a deep reflection on why people fail to listen and adhere to the proper way of doing things got me thinking. I begin to wonder why people sometimes decide not to allow safety and sustainability measures that can improve an organization.

I am not a psychologist nor do I have training in any human behavior analysis. But concerns about human behavior got me to this article.
I read somewhere that the field of study that attempts to describe and explain the changes in human cognitive, emotional, and behavioral capabilities and functioning over the entire life span describes HUMAN BEHAVIOR or HUMAN DEVELOPMENT PSYCHOLOGY. This tells me that the human cognitive nature to think, reason, remember, imagine, and learn is what makes humans extraordinary compare to animals and yet gives us problems as humans. I can explain myself.

I wonder why people find it difficult to follow rules that provide safety or precautionary measure in the MINE. After training and retraining on safety tips in the MINE, you still see some other workers not focusing on safety measures. Let's consider what happened in what is regarded as the worst MINE disaster in history. I am talking about the 1942 disaster in BENXIHU HONKEIKO COAL MINE in LIAONING PROVINCE CHINA, claiming the lives of over 1500. The mine operator was to prevent a fire outbreak and decided to cut off the air in the ventilation shaft to stop combustion at the expense of all the staff in the MINE. This led to their death as all we're suffocated by carbon monoxide poisoning. A mass burial was later arranged for all. It could have been avoided. But then what a decision! Could this be innate?

I wonder why Environmental Sustainability becomes a difficult measure to follow, even when all possible measures are in place.

I wonder why Environmental Management Plan becomes a very scary document to follow to letters. And you still find workers, even professionals doing what they believe to be standard without escalating whatever issue they come across to officially review the change.

I wonder why some quarters in the extractive industry still believe tailings should be handled carelessly without proper measures in place for processing. They still dump tailings in the rivers, and creeks and careless handling of the waste. This I can't fathom!

If the climatic change is real or not, I still know of some people that will do things not to favor the ecosystem or in favor of the operation that supports Environmental Sustainability.
Could this be the reason why organizations don't see reasons why Cooperate Social Responsibility is part of what could be responsible for the growth of the organization?

I have never doubted what human is capable of doing, and that is the more reason why human nature is unpredictable.

I just want a place where everyone can live in peace and harmony. Where organizations in the extractive industry work with a sense of purpose that includes well being of society. Where workers believe in MINES safety measures, even though they still see it as not convenient to obey. I want to see organizations believe in the PEOPLE, PLANET, and PROFIT business model. I want to see people manage their conflicts of interest to promote better living for everyone – by asking questions before engaging.

I can say much because I still believe human behavior is still very complex.


Please what is your take?

Comments